A man jumped about 12 to 15 feet from a second-story apartment in Oceano on Tuesday to escape a fire, according to Five Cities Fire Authority.
The fire broke out around 9:30 a.m. at an apartment complex in the 1600 block of 21st Street, fire officials said. A man who had been working at a nearby housing complex first noticed smoke in the building and urged occupants of the smoldering apartment complex to evacuate.
He also opened the front door of the unit on fire and encouraged the trapped resident inside to break a window and jump down to safety. Smoke alarms had been activated.
The resident suffered non-life-threatening injuries and was taken by ambulance to Arroyo Grande Community Hospital, according to Five Cities Fire Authority.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Five Cities Fire officials believe the blaze began in the water heater closet.
Five Cities Fire and Cal Fire crews extinguished the blaze.
The American Red Cross was asked to help shelter those affected.