Local

Fire breaks out at outbuilding of Efren's Deli in Oceano

Spontaneous combustion from oily linens caused a fire in an outbuilding at Efren’s Deli in Oceano early Sunday, according to Five Cities fire Chief Steve Lieberman.

Crews were dispatched at 4:25 a.m., as two engines from Five Cities Fire Authority responded to the fire at 1720 Beach St.

Within 10 minutes, firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in the approximately 20-square-foot outbuilding, located at the rear of the business, Lieberman said.

Firefighters forced entry into the restaurant and determined that there was no fire in the walls; the only damage to the main building was smoke damage.

The cause of the fire was determined to be spontaneous combustion from restaurant linens that were saturated with animal fat, Lieberman said.

Lieberman estimates the cost of the damage to be less than $10,000.

The fire did not cause any injuries.

  Comments