A co-owner of Granada Hotel & Bistro in downtown San Luis Obispo plans to open a wine shop and event space later this month in one of the city’s first gasoline service stations, built around 1920.
The Station, which will feature a back patio, pop-up bar and side room with a large table and chairs, expects to open June 25 at 311 Higuera St. after receiving a liquor license and other items, according to manager Jenna Congdon.
The new wine shop has rented one of two structures on Higuera Street that were bought and renovated by Brian and Liz Espy. The Espys used the other space at 309 Higuera St. to house Doghouse Promotions, a promotional products company they own that has done work for clients including ESPN, Disney and Google.
The space occupied by Doghouse Promotions is the original California Department of Motor Vehicles and CHP office for San Luis Obispo, built around 1900.
The renovation process, including retrofitting and removing old gas tanks, took nine months; Brian Espy declined to disclose their investment.
The Station, owned by Kimberly Walker, will be hosting its own events such as an art bar, in addition to renting the space for private events and corporate functions.
Congdon said they are working to get food trucks parked outside during lunch hours to offer food selections to customers.
The Station is geared towards business professionals; however, because of its central location, Congdon expects a broad clientele of students and the general public. It currently has a staff of three and will be hiring when it opens to the public.
The Station will also house the offices of Borracha, Walker’s company that sells Wine Wipes, among other products. The offices are now located at The Workshop, a co-op winery space on 2885 South Higuera St.
Doghouse Promotions, which started in 1991 and moved to San Luis Obispo from Morro Bay, has five employees. It’s a Women’s Business Enterprise National Council certified business.
Parking for both buildings is available at the front and side, in addition to street parking on Pacific Street and Pismo Street.