Businesses in Pismo Beach will soon get a visit from the California State Board of Equalization’s statewide compliance and outreach teams.
The teams are visiting several areas throughout the state to educate retailers about how to properly report sales and use tax, and increase compliance with tax laws, according to a news release from the board. Home-based businesses won’t be visited.
According to the Board of Equalization, nearly 98 percent of the businesses operating in California are doing so with the correct permits, and collecting the correct taxes and fees. But the other 2 percent that are out of compliance are among those responsible for more than $2 billion in uncollected taxes contributing to the state’s “tax gap” – the difference between the amount of taxes owed and the amount paid, negatively impacting all state taxpayers, the news release said.
Pismo Beach business owners with questions about the visits can call the board’s San Jose district office at (408) 938-7776 or visit www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/SCOP_Overview.htm.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.