Here's Sophie Kardel’s recipe for Golden Peanut Yum Yum Rolls. The Hawthorne Elementary School fifth-grader is among the top 10 national finalists in the Jif Most Creative Peanut Butter Sandwich Contest. To vote, click here.
- 1 package of egg roll wrappers
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, to fry the egg rolls
- Cilantro to garnish (optional)
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
- 5 tablespoons Jif® creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste (optional)
- 1/4 cup grilled chicken, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup shelled edamame beans
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup bean sprouts, chopped
- 1/4 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 1/4 cup green cabbage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well.
2. Combine the filling ingredients in a microwaveable bowl. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the sauce (save that for the dipping sauce) and add the rest to the filling. Mix and microwave on high for one minute.
3. To assemble, place 1/4 of the filling on a wrapper, Follow the instructions on the package and roll into an egg roll shape. Repeat to make 4 egg rolls.
4. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a skillet. Fry each side of the roll until golden brown. Drain them on a plate lined with paper towels. Serve warm or cold.
5. To make the dipping sauce, combine the remaining sauce with 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Mix well. Put in small bowl for dipping.
Optional: Serve on a bed of cilantro.