A blaze that consumed more than 100 acres near Cal Poly early Saturday was the result of fireworks, investigators said.
Cal Fire investigators declined to comment on whether anyone was cited or if fireworks were found near the area where the fire started at about 6 a.m.
Flames charred about 120 acres of heavy vegetation by 11 a.m. as the blaze spread from the northeast side of the campus about 100 feet from the P sign to an area north of Slack Street near Grand Avenue, according to Cal Fire Spokesman Clint Bullard.
By about 2:30 p.m., the fire was about 75 percent contained and fire crews from throughout the county were being released, Bullard said.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
No structures were immediately threatened and no roads were closed or evacuations made as firefighters battled to contain flames traveling along the ridgeline.
“In the beginning it was moving fairly quickly,” Bullard said near a command post at Grande Avenue and Slack Street. But air drops of fire retardant helped douse the blaze, and by 9 a.m. the fire had slowed, creeping south east away from campus and toward San Luis Obispo.
Tina Crozier peered at the fire through binoculars from her home on nearby Graves Avenue. Groups of residents gathered in their front yards to keep an eye on the blaze.
Several doors down, Ilona Ing said she hosed down her roof around 7:30 a.m. but was not concerned that the fire would reach her home.
“There are too many firemen up there to be concerned,” Ing said.
About 150 firefighters from Cal Fire, San Luis Obispo, Atascadero, Paso Robles, Templeton and the U.S. Forest Service fought the blaze.