Here are the official rules for The 12 Days of Christmas contest on SanLuisObispo.com:
1. No purchase or payment of any kind is necessary to enter or win this contest.
2. The contest will run for twelve (12) days from Tuesday, December 14, 2010 through Saturday, December 25, 2010. Each daily contest runs from 12 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. PST.
3. Contest is limited to U.S. residents age 18 or older, except employees, agents, or representatives of The Tribune newspaper, or any of its parents, subsidiaries, sister companies, or affiliates, or any member of their immediate families.
4. Entries that are lost, late, misdirected, garbled, or incompletely received, for any reason, including by reason of hardware, software, browser, or network failure, malfunction, congestion, or incompatibility at the web site or elsewhere, will not be eligible.
5. The Tribune, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the entry process, the operation of the web site, or otherwise in violation of the rules. It further reserves the right to cancel, terminate, or modify The 12 Days of Christmas contest on SanLuisObispo.com if it is not capable of completion as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, force majeure, or technical failures of any sort.
6. Each day of the contest period, SanLuisObispo.com will pose a holiday question to online visitors. To enter the contest, visitors must respond to the question by posting their answer using SanLuisObispo.com’s commenting system.
7. A winner will be randomly selected from that day's entries. All decisions of the judge(s) are final and binding.
8. The winner of each day’s drawing will receive a $50.00 Visa gift card (the "prize"). If the winner cannot be contacted or does not respond within three (3) days, an alternate winner may be selected, at the sole discretion of the judge(s). The approximate retail value of the prize is $50. Income and other taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the winner. A total of twelve (12) prizes will be awarded.
9. Winners will be notified via email using the address associated with the account used to comment on SanLuisObispo.com.
10. The daily winner’s name will be posted at 9 a.m. on SanLuisObispo.com.
11. Subject to all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void outside of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, and where prohibited.
12. The prize is not transferable. No substitutions for the prize except by The Tribune, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be substituted.
13. All entries become the property of The Tribune and will not be acknowledged or returned.
14. Except where prohibited: (i) acceptance of the prize constitutes consent to use winner’s name, likeness, and winning entry for editorial, advertising, and publicity purposes, without further compensation; (ii) winner may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility.