A haul of 817 animals worth more than $2 million was sold by 4-H and FFA students during the California Mid-State Fair’s Junior Livestock Auction on Saturday in Paso Robles, according to unofficial figures from the fair.
The unofficial total was $2,096,205.75, according to the figures, which did not include “add-ons” as of Saturday night.
“Add-ons” allow fairgoers or interested parties to give additional funds toward an animal’s purchase — including that of Slim, a pig raised by Coast Union High School student Dante Garcia.
Garcia died at Nacimiento Lake on Friday evening, likely from drowning, according the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The unofficial overall totals were down from the 2015 Junior Livestock Auction, which drew more than $2.1 million on 840 animals sold.
Breaking it down
The average price for hogs was $9.10 per pound, down from $9.30 last year. The the average price for goats was down, too, at $13.17 per pound compared with $13.22 last year. The average price for steers was 4.11 per pound, up from $4.07 last year. For lambs, the average price was $13.12 per pound, up from $12 last year.
▪ 63 heifers sold at $5,406.25 per head, totaling $340,600.
▪ 71 steers sold for $371,763.25.
▪ 183 lambs sold for $317,887.
▪ 446 hogs sold for $1,005,030.50.
▪ 46 goats sold for $54,425.
▪ Four rabbit pens sold for $2,400 — an average of $600 per pen.
▪ Four chicken pens sold for $4,100 — an average of $1,025 per pen.
▪ Jenna Lee of Edna 4-H sold the Grand Champion Heifer for $11,000 and the Reserved Grand Champion Steer for $7,950.
▪ Wyatt Judge of San Luis Obispo FFA sold the Reserved Grand Champion Heifer for $8,000.
▪ Kadin Javadi of Santa Lucia 4-H sold the 4-H Reserve Champion Heifer for $6,000.
▪ Brayden Kahler of Cerro Alto 4-H sold the Grand Champion Hog for $5,980.
▪ Paige Autry of Ranchita Canyon 4-H sold the Reserved Grand Champion Hog for $5,720.
▪ Rachel Wilkins of Lockwood 4-H sold the Grand Champion Rabbits for $1,150 and the 4-H Reserved Grand Champion Rabbits for $750.
▪ Gabby Vering of Atascadero FFA sold the Grand Champion Goat for $2,760.
▪ Wyatt Savage of Chaparral 4-H sold the Reserved Grand Champion Goat for $2,496.
▪ Holyn Sylvester of Canyon Country 4-H sold the Grand Champion Market Broilers for $1,700.
▪ Aeven Sylvester of Canyon Country 4-H sold the Reserved Grand Champion Market Broilers for $900.
▪ Jacob Madden of Templeton FFA sold the Grand Champion Lamb for $8,700.
▪ Ryan Domingo of Ranchita Canyon 4-H sold the Reserved Grand Champion Lamb for $6,812.
▪ Leo Kemp of Creston 4-H sold the Grand Champion Steer for $13,340.