▪ The NBA Finals are over, but that doesn’t mean teams are done for the season. Former MVP Derrick Rose was traded to the New York Knicks for three players by the Bulls on Wednesday in the first big trade of the offseason. Point guard Jeff Teague will find a new home in Indiana after a three team swap with Utah and Atlanta. Utah will receive point guard George Hill and Atlanta will get the 12th pick in the upcoming NBA draft, which was held by Utah.
Speaking of the draft, NBA free agency will begin July 1, but contracts cannot be signed until July 8.
But Cleveland Cavaliers fans can rest easy. Lebron James told Cleveland.com just before he boarded the championship celebration float during Wednesday’s NBA Finals celebration that, “I’ve got no plans to go nowhere at this point.” James has an opt-out clause in his contract, which he mostly certainly will activate, releasing him into free agency.
Meanwhile, the rest of the NBA can still dream about having James on their team.
Never miss a local story.
▪ The CIF-Southern Section will be mixed up next fall with many schools moving divisions. Read more here.
▪ Tuesday night was one of those games for the Pittsburgh Pirates. They trailed 8-0 to the San Francisco Giants entering the sixth inning and 15-3 after the eighth. On a night when every pitcher struggled for the Pirates, their best hurler turned out to be third-string backup catcher Erik Kratz. Kratz, who homered off Madison Bumgarner in the first game of the series, came in and pitched a scoreless inning, striking out Giants first baseman Brandon Belt in the process.
Belt could only make fun of himself after the game.
▪ Now that it’s officially summer, it’s time to place all our focus on baseball. Here’s a useful “where-are-they-now” guide from reporter Lucas Clark on all the players drafted from Cal Poly’s historic 2014 Big West championship team.
▪ Chicago Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane became the first ever American-born player to win the Hart Trophy on Wednesday. The NHL leader with 106 points, Kane also won the 2016 Art Ross Trophy, holding a 17-point edge over Jamie Benn. Kane’s previous career-high in points was 88. Kane won the trophy over finalists Benn of the Dallas Stars and Branden Hotlby of the Washington Capitals.
▪ Portugal’s superstar forward Ronaldo may have scored the goal of the tournament at the 2016 Euro’s. See for yourself.
▪ Shaquille O’Neal has always been an entertainer. When a fan ran up to take a picture and a secret video — despite being warned not to — the 15-time All Star didn’t miss a beat.
▪ The United States didn’t have a lot of highlights in Tuesday’s loss to Argentina, recording no shots on goal in a 4-0 loss. One highlight was defender Deandre Yedlin outracing Lionel Messi to a loose ball and saving a clear chance.
It was the one time the U.S. bottled Messi up, as Argentinian had a goal and an assist.