Bravo to all the uneducated and ill-informed citizens celebrating the blown Styrofoam (polystyrene plastics) ban.
Polystyrene plastics are unique in that they are clean. No chemicals are needed to re-manufacture; just grind it up and make new product.
Polystyrene plastic’s precursor ingredients are among the most dangerous to store and transport, making recycling urgently important.
Blown polystyrene products are less than 25 percent of the polystyrene needing recycling. Food packaging is less than 20 percent of the total blown polystyrene and therefore less than 5 percent of the polystyrene waste stream.
Never miss a local story.
Celebrating banning the visible 5 percent of polystyrene products while causing 95 percent to go to the landfill is antiecology, anti-recycling and anti-good sense. It’s token environmentalism — not real concern about our planet.
Yes, now a token 5 percent of blown polystyrene will be removed, and along with it the visible need to actually recycle the other 95 percent of polystyrene products.
Most of the cardboard substitutes in food service use so much glue that they contaminate the paper waste stream instead of add to it.
They work less well than polystyrene for the purpose intended.
Well done, banners: You have helped stop the recycling and recovery of polystyrene plastics and accomplished only shrinking our liberties.