Let us all take note of those in both parties now in Congress who oppose the president’s plan to balance the national budget and those who refuse to negotiate or consider compromise.
Robert Reich, former secretary of labor, has wisely noted that unless tax levels for the wealthy are returned to their pre-G.W. Bush percentages, we cannot solve our budgetary problems. Gutting the current programs for the poor, elderly, disabled and education cannot solve the problem. Such cuts would be disastrous and merely cosmetic.
It would be a public service if the media published lists of those who vote either for or against raising taxes on the rich. It would then be very clear which of our representatives are in the back pockets of their wealthy benefactors. These are the people who want to privatize Social Security, prisons, Medicare and all federal services so that their rich friends become richer and the middle class disappears. We will become like so many of those nations with just two classes: the rich and the poor.
Never miss a local story.
Cut the chaff
Yes, yes, yes, look for Joe Tarica’s April 2 article on excessive state agencies! Letter writer Stanley Schaffer (April 17) refers to Tarica’s article and states we should be informed about these hundreds of agencies and move to delete the ones that are absolutely not needed, and I agree!
I have seen the four-pages (small print) listing these agencies, and it would be overwhelming to most of us to know where to begin, but we must sift out and bring to light the ones not needed! We need leadership, Joe!
A public thanks
I would like to publicly thank Paul Jarvis, principal at Dana Elementary in Nipomo. He has continually supported our Destination ImagiNation team at the regional and state competition. At the recent competition in Oakhurst, he worked an endless day and judged 17 teams.
Year in and year out, Mr. Jarvis volunteers his valuable time because he truly believes in the importance of this program, which stresses education, team work, creativity and problem-solving. So, thank you, Mr. Jarvis, for believing in kids and supporting this program.
The recent McClatchy poll is not only not surprising; it is predictable.
Almost two-thirds of those polled want to see the “rich” taxed more, but don’t want to give up any benefit to which they might be entitled.
Since, according to the Tax Foundation, the top 1 percent of taxpayers pay more than a third of all income taxes, and the top 5 percent pay more than half, it’s not a big surprise that the other 95 percent want to see the 5 percent bear the burden.
Unfortunately, if the Bush tax cuts for the rich were eliminated, that would result in an additional $69 billion of tax revenue each year on average over the next decade. This year’s deficit is $1.6 trillion, so 10 years of added taxes would wipe out less than half of one year’s deficit.
Unless we, as a people, become more realistic, the Standard & Poor’s downgrade of the treasury bonds will only be the opening shot across our bow.