Cambrian: Opinion

It’s time to grow, so I’m planting seeds in my garden

For the first time in quite a number of years, spring is springing in me — I feel like planting food again! The first year Love of My Life lived here, he planted a wonderful plot in our side yard. And oh, my goodness how the diabrotica (cucumber beetles or “man bugs” as some of us call them) did ravage that garden! Neither of us was particularly motivated after that even though we did get some tasty grub out of it.

Thinking back 30 years on imminent motherhood

There is nothing to listen to at 3 in the morning but your thoughts, here in Cambria. While I live only  2½ short blocks from the ocean, with my windows closed, it seems as though even the waves are asleep. My arm is tingling, so I shift my position in bed just a bit that I might remedy the matter. This in turn causes one of the three cats lining my backside to vibrate. Even his purr is short and silent.

Egg noodle exercise: fun followed by flavorful feast

For fun in cooking, find a friend or family, or both. Some meals are definitely labor intensive, so lend themselves to a group experience. Holiday tamales in great quantities, pans of baklava, bierocks, or cabbage rolls all come to mind with great memories. Now my daughter Kathy was excited that she could share the following experience, which she had learned by doing with her teaching friend, Kristi Vance Bell.

Crash aftermath: You never know who might be hurt

“Oh my gosh! We were going to get our morning scone and coffee at the French Corner Bakery, but there was a truck crashed into a car and right into the bakery! There were people there with blood on their faces! Oh, my gosh, it’s really scary! There was only one firetruck there, but others were coming so we left!” my friend exclaimed over the phone Saturday morning.

Planting milkweed doesn’t help Central Coast monarchs

In between our recent rainstorms, monarch butterflies (Danaus plexippus) can be seen fluttering around town and all over the Fiscalini Ranch Preserve. They are finishing their overwintering stay along the Central Coast, and it is time for them to find nectar plants for sustenance, mate and find milkweed on which to lay their eggs, all while starting their returning migration.

Videos

Grover Beach road repairs face delays, increase in cost

Grover Beach's road rehabilitation program has faced delays in 2017, but construction is expected to resume this summer. The program got a boost from Measure K, which voters passed in 2014.
Kaytlyn Leslie The Tribune
Grover Beach road repairs face delays, increase in cost 0:52

Grover Beach road repairs face delays, increase in cost

Final section of Big Sur's Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge comes tumbling down 0:29

Final section of Big Sur's Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge comes tumbling down

A history of Forden's, which opened in SLO in the 1920s 1:30

A history of Forden's, which opened in SLO in the 1920s

Gov. Jerry Brown calls Republicans' health care bill 'dangerous' 1:19

Gov. Jerry Brown calls Republicans' health care bill 'dangerous'