A fifth wheel-style trailer was destroyed Tuesday in an electrical fire caused by overloaded power strips attached to an extension cord that ran to a nearby house, a San Luis Obispo City Fire Department investigator said.
A person living in the trailer was not at home at the time of the fire, which was reported at about 6 p.m. at 1495 Orcutt Road in San Luis Obispo.
Firefighters from the San Luis Obispo department and Cal Fire responded to the 911 call with five fire engines, a ladder truck and additional staff and units, according to a news release.
When the first units arrived, they found the trailer already fully engulfed in flames. Firefighters knocked down the fire within 13 minutes, sparing the main house on the property and also preventing significant damage to a neighboring house about 10 feet from the trailer, the release said.
Never miss a local story.
No one was injured, but damage to the structure and contents was estimated to be at least $25,000. The American Red Cross is providing temporary housing and assistance to the occupant, the release said.
Fire officials remind the public that extension cords are for temporary use and should not be used as permanent wiring.