Atascadero’s Wrestling Bacchantes statue has returned to the Sunken Gardens after restoration work was completed.
The statue, created by Italian artist Aristide Petrilli and exhibited at the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis, Mo., was brought to the city by Atascadero founder E.G. Lewis in 1916. It features three nymphs captured mid-tussle in marble, and it was restored after vandals and years of rain and heat damaged it.
As part of Atascadero’s Centennial Celebration, the Wrestling Bacchantes were unveiled Sunday during a special community event that also included artist displays and wine tasting.