UPDATE 1:35 a.m.: An unattended candle in a bedroom caused the small fire at Poly Canyon Village at Cal Poly on Wednesday evening, according to the San Luis Obispo Fire Department.
Fire damage was limited to one bedroom in a four-bedroom unit on the first floor of the five-story Corralitos building, according to a news release from the Fire Department early this morning. Structure damage was estimated at more than $20,000, and personal property loss was estimated to be more than $5,000.
Cal Poly provided temporary housing to the displaced residents, the news release said.
UPDATE 9:05 p.m.: Hundreds of students were temporarily evacuated from a Cal Poly student housing complex Wednesday night because of a fire that was quickly doused by sprinklers, according to university officials.
Never miss a local story.
The fire, which was put out by the sprinkler system, was isolated to a bedroom on the first floor in the Corralitos building of Poly Canyon Village, said Matt Lazier, a university spokesman.
Four students live in the suite, he said, but it is unknown if they were home at the time of the fire.
Fire crews arrived at Poly Canyon Village seven minutes after the fire was reported at 7:39 p.m., according to Lazier.
The building, which houses more than 400 people, was evacuated as fire personnel mopped up the incident, according to Lazier.
No one was injured and no cause has yet been determined, Lazier said.
Original story: A fire in a Cal Poly student-housing complex was put out at 8:15 p.m. after fire personnel responded to the scene, according to Cal Fire.
Fire crews arrived at Poly Canyon Village a little before 8 p.m. in response to a fire alarm that had been tripped, according to university officials.
Students were evacuated from an unknown number of buildings as fire personnel dealt with the fire.