Charcoal briquettes thrown into a green waste container caused a fire at a Paso Robles home early Friday morning.
A neighbor of the home at 50 12th St. smelled smoke just after 12:30 a.m., according to a news release from the Paso Robles fire department. The neighbor found the fire and woke up the resident of the home, who was able to get outside uninjured before firefighters arrived.
Firefighters arrived 4 minutes after the 911 call, according to the news release, and found flames on the outside of the single-story residence. They were able to put out the blaze before it spread to the rest of the home.
The cause of the fire was charcoal briquettes discarded the previous afternoon in a green waste container next to the home, according to fire officials. After burning through the container, the fire spread to the exterior wall of the home.
Never miss a local story.
Firefighters want to remind people that charcoal briquettes remain hot several hours after use. They recommend putting them in a metal bucket filled with water for at least 24 hours before putting them in a trash can.