Atascadero honored the late Marjorie Mackey with a public dedication event Saturday at Stadium Park. The 26-acre park is a historic community plot of hillsides, oak trees and a natural amphitheater created in 1915 by Atascadero founder EG Lewis.
Mackey, the city’s first female mayor and champion for Atascadero's rural landscape, helped lead the city to purchase the park with a federal grant in 1993.
After Mackey died at age 88 in 2009, the City Council at the time asked that a memorial sign be created in her memory. Andrew Weatherly’s Metal Shop students at Atascadero High School crafted the sign in 2010. The city paid $1,100 for its materials with city funds and community donations.It designates the natural bowl area in Stadium Park as “Marj Mackey Meadow.”
Mackey dedicated almost 50 years of community service to Atascadero in various ways. Among them was starting the Atascadero Historical Society in 1965 and helping establish the Atascadero Land Preservation Society and the Atascadero Native Tree Association.