SANTA BARBARA — The California Department of Public Health is warning people not to eat shellfish and a few other seafood varieties caught by sport fisherman off the Channel Islands.
The department said Monday that elevated levels of a toxin called domoic acid has been found in recent samples of mussels, clams and scallops and in the internal organs of lobster and crab.
The warning does not apply to fish sold commercially.
Symptoms of domoic acid poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, cramps, headaches and dizziness, and it can lead to coma and death in severe cases, but there have been no known human cases in California.
Never miss a local story.
The Channel Islands are a chain of eight islands off the Southern California coast.