A Nipomo woman was taken to the hospital Tuesday night after a lamp fell on a mattress, which then caught on fire.
The woman, who lives in the 300 block of Calle Del Sol, said the lamp was smoking, but she was unable to turn it off. The light bulb was thought to be too strong for the fixture.
When fire engines arrived at her house just before 8:30 p.m., smoke had filled a room. Total damage was estimated at $1,500.
An ambulance took the woman to the hospital, where she was treated for minor smoke inhalation.