Nineteen public safety officials were recognized Tuesday for their contributions to the city of San Luis Obispo.
The police officers and firefighters were honored at the 18th annual San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce's Public Safety Appreciation Luncheon.
San Luis Obispo Fire Department Chief John Callahan presented awards to the following recipients:
- Firefighter Jason Pratt for Distinguished Service
- The Seagrave Team: Battalion Chief Mike Hogan, Captain Pat Brady, Engineer Larry Parker, Engineer Matt Callahan and Engineer Jim Neel
- Office of Emergency Service 271: Captain Mike King, Engineer Ralph Martini, Engineer Ryan Mason, Firefighter Matt Polkow
- Strike Team Engine Three: Battalion Chief Chris Slate, Captain Greg Logan, Captain Bob Bisson, Engineer Larry Parker and Engineer Gary Hale
- Fire Mechanic Bill Dugger was given the Greg Otto Award, named in honor of a department veteran who died of pancreatic cancer, for decades of dedication to the
- San Luis Fire Department.
Never miss a local story.
San Luis Obispo Police Chief Deborah Linden presented awards to the following recipients:
- Officer George Berrios, Office Kevin Waddell and Records Supervisor Kathy Righetti
- Distinguished Service Award to Communications and Records Manager Kerri Rosenblum
- Volunteer retired Sgt. Vern Smith, 78, was awarded the Mary Winter Award, named in honor of a parking enforcement officer who died from breast cancer, for countless hours spent assisting the San Luis Police Department with dedication and commitment.
Linden also surprised Fire Chief John Callahan with a Lifetime Achievement Award. Callahan joined the San Luis Obispo Fire Department in 2004 after serving for more than 30 years with the Los Angeles Fire Department.