A recycling center in San Luis Obispo has closed because of the ongoing dispute between the state and recycling companies.
But consumers can still turn in their glass and plastic bottles and aluminum cans at buy-back locations that remain open throughout the county.
Saturday was the last day of operation for the recycling drop-off behind the Marigold Center on Broad Street in San Luis Obispo.
The site was closed because the state is no longer providing the monthly subsidies needed to keep it profitable, said Tom Martin, general manager of San Luis Garbage. A $3,000 per month subsidy was lost because of the state’s budget crisis.
Never miss a local story.
Martin said he would consider reopening the recycling center if the subsidy were restored. It costs about $40,000 to staff the center.
Here is a list of many buy-back locations that continue to operate in the county. It is not comprehensive, but does show centers throughout the county still open:
• Macoy Resource and Recycling, 5815 Stockdale Road, Paso Robles. 8 to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday.
• Food 4 Less, 1465 Creston Road, Paso Robles. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday through Saturday.
• Albertsons, 1314 Madonna Road, San Luis Obispo. 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
• Albertsons, 771 Foothill Road, San Luis Obispo. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Saturday.
• Smart and Final, 277 Higuera St., San Luis Obispo. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Monday and Thursday through Sunday; 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday.
• La Tapatia Market and Deli, 1909 Front St., Oceano. 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., 1:30 to 4:30 p.m., seven days a week.
• Scolari’s, 555 Five Cities Drive, Pismo Beach. 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday.
• Spencer’s Market, 1464 E. Grand Ave., Arroyo Grande. 8:30 to 11 a.m., 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
• Spencer’s Market, 2650 Main St., Morro Bay. 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday.
• Vons, 1130 Los Osos Valley Road, Los Osos. 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday.
• Vons, 490 Quintana Road, Morro Bay. 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. on Monday and Thursday through Sunday.
These centers were listed as open on Tuesday by the companies that operate them. For the latest information, visit www.nexcycle california.com and www.replanetusa.com.
Salvage companies also take redeemable materials. For more information, look up the county’s Integrated Waste Management Authority Web site at www.iwma.com.