The Latino Outreach Council will host a free celebration Thursday night at Mission Plaza in San Luis Obispo with music, food and traditional dancing in honor of National Hispanic Heritage Month.
The event coincides with several activities the San Luis Obispo County Library system will hold for National Hispanic American Heritage Month, which is celebrated from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15.
The Mission Plaza festivities will take place from 5 to 9 p.m. and include baile folklorico, mariachi and Aztec dancers. Food and drink vendors will be on hand.
The county library system will be showing PBS’ acclaimed series Latin Music USA on the following dates:
- Los Osos Library -- Sept. 22, Sept. 29 and Oct. 13 from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
- Atascadero Library -- Sept. 24 at 6:30 p.m.
- Morro Bay Library -- Sept. 30 at 10 a.m.
Other events at local libraries:
- Arroyo Grande Library -- A docent from the Dana Adobe will speak about Hispanic influence at the site and in California on Oct. 10 at 2 p.m.
- Nipomo Library -- Musica Latina disc jockey DJRAWGER, Roger Rodriguez, on Oct. 3 from 2 to 4 p.m.
- Oceano Library -- The library’s 10th anniversary will be celebrated with an event in early October. For more information call 474-7478.
- San Luis Obispo Library -- Latin American dancing, singing and bilingual storytelling on Oct. 24 at 10:30 a.m; the award-winning film Bread and Roses will show Oct. 21 at 5:30 p.m.
- Shandon Library -- The art of Guillermo Willie, celebrating Mesoamerican mythology, will be displayed.