Residents had to evacuate a San Luis Obispo home early Friday morning after unattended candles started a fire.
Firefighters were called to 2179 Beebee Street at 4:42 a.m., according to a news release from the San Luis Obispo Fire Department. Firefighters on the first truck to arrive saw smoke coming from the windows and front door of a two-story duplex.
Two residents, including a small child, had evacuated and said another person could possibly be inside. Firefighters rapidly searched the home and found no one else.
The resident said she woke up to smoke detectors blaring and said she had left candles burning on a TV console in the living room downstairs when she went to bed. After she called 911, a neighbor in the adjoining duplex was alerted and used a fire extinguisher to put out the small fire.
Never miss a local story.
The fire consumed part of the console table, as well as combustible items on the table and adjacent electronics. The loss was estimated to be $2,500.
The residents and neighbor were medically evaluated and treated at the scene for minor injuries.