Atascadero firefighters rescued a man who was trapped in a burning two-story house on Wednesday night.
After being freed from the second story via ladder, the resident was treated for minor smoke inhalation. The Atascadero Fire Department said in a news release that no firefighters were injured and the fire was contained within 30 minutes.
Atascadero Fire dispatch received a call at about 9:22 p.m. from the resident in the 8600 block of San Gabriel Road who said he was trapped on the second floor of the structure, which has a barn on the first floor and a residence on the second. Dispatchers remained on the phone with the man and told him to stay next to a window as firefighters arrived.
Crews freed the man with the ladder and attacked the fire from the outside until they could safely enter the home, determine there were no other occupants, and extinguish the fire.
About two dozen firefighters from Atascadero Fire, Cal Fire, and the Templeton and Atascadero State Hospital fire departments responded to the blaze, which caused an estimated $5,000 in property damage, according to the news release.
Fire investigators believe the fire started outside the home before spreading to the interior, but the Atascadero Fire Department said the investigation remains ongoing.