Think quality olive oil is just for salad dressing or pasta? Think again. Extra virgin olive oil can replace other oils in a variety of recipes, including deep frying and baking. Fruit- or herb-flavored olive oils multiply the possibilities.
Here are some simple serving suggestions from local oil vendors:• Mix orange-flavored oil with a dollop of honey to spread on toast or an English muffin.
• Drizzle your favorite olive oil over hummus and sprinkle with fresh or dried herbs.
• Toast rustic bread. Drizzle it with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
• Replace butter with olive oil on sautéed vegetables or baked potatoes.
• Use olive oil (regular or lemon) in place of mayonnaise in tuna salad.
• Add lime-flavored oil and salt to corn on the cob.
• Warm lemon-flavored oil as a dip for artichokes — or drizzle it on grilled asparagus or fish.
• When baking brownies, use orange flavored olive oil instead of vegetable oil.
• Drizzle orange- or lemon-flavored oil over cheesecake, pound cake or short bread.
• Basil-flavored oil moistens brownies or chocolate cake when drizzled on top.
• Olive oil makes a great ice cream or gelato. Look for recipes to make at home.