Think quality olive oil is just for salad dressing or pasta? Thinkagain. Extra virgin olive oil can replace other oils in a variety ofrecipes, including deep frying and baking. Fruit- or herb-flavoredolive oils multiply the possibilities.
Here are some simple serving suggestions from local oil vendors:
• Mix orange-flavored oil with a dollopof honey to spread on toast or anEnglish muffin.
Never miss a local story.
• Drizzle your favorite olive oil overhummus and sprinkle with fresh ordried herbs.
• Toast rustic bread. Drizzle it witholive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
• Replace butter with olive oil on sautéedvegetables or bakedpotatoes.
• Use olive oil (regular or lemon) inplace of mayonnaise in tuna salad.
• Add lime-flavored oil and salt tocorn on the cob.
• Warm lemon-flavored oil as a dip forartichokes — or drizzle it on grilledasparagus or fish.
• When baking brownies, use orange flavoredolive oil instead of vegetableoil.
• Drizzle orange- or lemon-flavoredoil over cheesecake,pound cake or short bread.
• Basil-flavored oil moistensbrownies or chocolate cakewhen drizzled on top.
• Olive oil makes a great icecream or gelato. Look forrecipes to make at home.