Today’s adventure traveler seeks out extraordinary lodging accommodations that complement their unique travel style, off-the-beaten- path hotels and resorts that on their own provide memorable travel experiences. To satisfy every type of traveler’s whims, HotelsCombined.comincludes some of the world’s most unusual hotels in its database and has compiled the Top 10 Quirkiest Hotels Worldwide.
1. Jumbo Hostel, Stockholm, Sweden. Housed in a grounded Boeing 747, this jumbo-jet hostel is fittingly located at the Arlanda International Airport, where curious onlookers can grab coffee at the hostel’s Jumbo Cafe and weary frequent flyers can unwind with a stay in the luxurious cockpit suite.
2. KUBE Hotel, Paris, France. Described as “an innovative and high-tech universe,” the KUBE has a futuristic atmosphere that boasts the invigorating Ice Kube Bar, Paris’ first ice bar. At negative 10 degrees Celsius and all on ice, the hotel happily supplies patrons with parkas and gloves.
3. Gamirasu Cave Hotel, Cappadocia, Turkey. Located in a restored thousand- year-old Byzantine monastic retreat, the 25- room cave hotel offers a truly spiritual experience with relaxing body care massages, traditional Turkish cuisine courses and a historical cave church perfect for authentic cultural weddings.
4. Madonna Inn, San Luis Obispo, California. A landmark attraction on California’s Central Coast, the Madonna Inn has 110 rooms, each with a special theme. The rooms range from the bizarre Merry- Go-Round Room and the lively Safari Room to the French-style Love Nest and the deliciously adorned Sugar & Spice.
5. Ariau Amazon Towers Hotel, Manaus, Brazil. The largest treetop hotel in the world, this amazing hotel is nestled in a canopy of trees above the Amazon River. Guests enjoy 360-degree rainforest views and a variety of jungle activities, including piranha fishing, forest hikes and swimming with rare pink dolphins.
6. Alcatraz Hotel, Kaiserslautern, Germany. Unlike the former inmates, travelers staying at this converted 100-year-old prison can leave whenever they want. Adventurous guests experience the life of a prisoner with cell-style rooms, barred windows and breakfast served through the hatch of the original prison door.
7. Elephant Safari Park Lodge, Bali, Indonesia. Situated directly in an elephant sanctuary, this safari-style lodge offers travelers an opportunity to interact, feed, ride, observe, learn, play and stay with 29 beautiful Sumatran elephants. Guests also enjoy elephant chauffeur pick-up from rooms and free safari park access.
8. Wigwam Motel, San Bernardino, California. An iconic landmark alongside historic Route 66, the Wigwam Motel village-style arrangement of tepees is reminiscent of the classic American roadtrip. Originally built in 1949, the Wigwam Motel is still a popular destination for the adventurous road warrior.
9. Wagon Stays, Christchurch, New Zealand. An all-natural wagon crafted from untreated timber creates an atmosphere reminiscent of an early settlers’ wagon camp. Guests enjoy unobstructed views across Canterbury farmlands from the cozy interior of their wagons.
10. Bradford Old Windmill, Bradford-on- Avon, England, United Kingdom. Described as something from a medieval fairytale, this 19th-century windmill is now an eccentric bed and breakfast. The windmill’s Victorian spiral staircase, pointed Gothic windows and four-story stone tower give the hotel an old-fashioned romantic feeling.