Letter to the Editor

Beware death caps

NipomoJuly 9, 2014 

This is a warning to all pet owners. On June 27, my 6-month-old German wire-haired pointer found a death cap mushroom. He was running on our property late in the evening with something in his mouth. He laid down in the grass and started chewing on it. When I approached him to identify it, he ran off in his playful manner and immediately returned without it. I didn’t concern myself, as I only saw him with whatever he had for such a short time.

The next day he started throwing up. As time progressed, he was throwing up more, so I took him to the vet, but it was too late. The symptoms of ingestion don’t start showing up for six to 20 hours, and by then it is too late; the liver damage has started.

We’ve had dogs for over 40 years and never heard of this. It may not seem like mushroom season, but this was an old dried-out death cap, and they can remain toxic for years. Please go to http://www.mushrooms911.blogspot.com for more information. These mushrooms are not native to California and they are becoming more prolific with time.

The Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service