Dystiny Myers' family formally files lawsuit over possession of skull

ppemberton@thetribunenews.comMarch 28, 2014 

Kathy Clark shows the media an album full of photos of her granddaughter, Dystiny Myers, made by a family friend. Frank Jacob York and his mother, Rhonda Wisto, were formally sentenced to life in prison for Myers' murder in May 2013. Read more »

JOE JOHNSTON — jjohnston@thetribunenews.com Buy Photo

The mother and grandmother of 15-year-old murder victim Dystiny Myers formally filed a lawsuit against the county on Wednesday, claiming the District Attorney’s Office kept the teen’s skull without the family’s permission.

The county had previously rejected a claim filed by Myers’ mother, Aileen Lucas, and grandmother, Kathy Clark.

The lawsuit seeks economic and punitive damages related to stress the plaintiffs allegedly suffered when they discovered Myers’ skull had not been buried.

The family said they learned during the trial of now-convicted murderers Rhonda Wisto and Jacob York that the District Attorney’s Office kept the skull so an expert witness could refer to photos of it during testimony.

Nina Negranti, chief deputy county counsel, previously said the claim had no merit and that the prosecution did not act inappropriately. She said this week that the county has not yet received a copy of the complaint.

The skull is currently in the county’s possession and the family can retrieve it.

The Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service