Downed power line sparks structure fire in Paso Robles

newsroom@thetribunenews.comMarch 10, 2014 

A downed power line sparked a small structure fire Monday evening in the 200 block of Vine Street in Paso Robles, leading to the evacuation of nearby homes.

At 5:57 p.m., Paso Robles firefighters responded to reports of a live power line down on Second Street between Vine and Olive streets, according to Battalion Chief Kevin Taylor of the Paso Robles Department of Emergency Services.

Wind blew the energized electrical line into a residence at 209 Vine Street, where it came in contact with the natural gas line serving the home, Taylor said, starting a small fire.

Although firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze, they were unable to secure the gas service until Pacific Gas and Electric Co. shut off the power, Taylor said.  

Police officers closed off the area and evacuated residents from Olive to Vine streets between Second and Fourth streets, the battalion chief said, just in case the line became an ignition source for the natural gas.

Residents were allowed to return to their homes at approximately 7:20 p.m.

Damage to 209 Vine Street was limited to an interior wall and heating unit, Taylor said, and no injuries were reported. 

Firefighters also extinguished a small grass fire in the 200 block of Vine Street, he said.

A total of 14 firefighters from the Atascadero Fire Department, Cal Fire and the Paso Robles Department of Emergency Services responded to the incident.

The Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service