On Jan. 18 and 20, as part of the National Day of Service, more than 30 California Conservation Corps and their leader, Malinda Shriver, volunteered for service at El Chorro Regional Park and spent hours repairing, refurbishing and repainting all the benches, picnic tables and the information kiosk at the El Chorro Dog Park. In addition, they spread more than 40 cubic yards of wood chips and left the dog park in tip-top condition, ready for all park visitors to enjoy.
Modeled after the original federal Conservation Corps in 1933, the Corps became a permanent state department in 1983 and these young men and women have been cheerfully living up to its motto ever since: Hard work, low pay and miserable conditions.
Our local Los Padres Corps is located at Camp San Luis and is constantly involved throughout the county, working on trail rehabilitation, tree and native plant restoration, park refurbishment and watershed work at the Morro Bay Estuary.
In short, the CCCs dedication to service makes our world a better place. The Board of SLO-4-PUPs and all the wonderful volunteers who daily maintain the off-leash dog park at El Chorro are extremely grateful for their service.