Cigarette lighter left near mattress causes house fire in SLO, kleslie@thetribunenews.comJanuary 15, 2014 

Firefighters responded to a house fire on San Jose Court in San Luis Obispo on Wednesday.


UPDATE 5:20 p.m.: A lighter used to light a cigarette early Wednesday morning was found to be the cause of a house fire that caused $30,000 in damage, according to San Luis Obispo Fire Marshal Roger Maggio.

No one was injured, and the fire has been ruled accidental.

The lighter, known to be problematic by sometimes staying lit, was left on a shelf in the garage — also periodically used as a bedroom — next to a mattress, SLO City Fire Battalion Chief Jeff Gater said in a news release.

The fire destroyed the garage of the 1,200 square-foot house in the 100 block of San Jose Court and spread to the attic. Firefighters gained control of the fire within 15 minutes of being dispatched, Gater said.

The American Red Cross is providing temporary housing and assistance to the three people who lived in the home.

Original story: San Luis Obispo City Fire and Cal Fire responded to a residential structure fire shortly before 11:30 a.m. Wednesday.

The departments responded to the scene to find smoke pouring from the garage and attic of a home on San Jose Court in San Luis Obispo, said SLO City Fire Battalion Chief Jeff Gater.

The smoke was quickly doused, and crews are currently cleaning the area. The cause seems to be accidental.

There were no reported injuries, and an estimate of damage was not yet available.

The Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service