Oceano homeowner starts fire while doing plumbing repairs

newsroom@thetribunenews.comJanuary 11, 2014 

An Oceano homeowner using a torch while doing plumbing repairs caused a fire in the attic of his garage on Saturday morning.

Five Cities Fire Authority responded at about 8:31 a.m. to reports of smoke coming out of the roof and attic areas of a garage in the 2400 block of Mona Lei Court in Oceano.

With heavy smoke hampering their vision, firefighters cut away portions of the garage wall to get at the fire burning around and in the ceiling insulation, fire department spokesman Peter Klein said.

“The attic was completely filled with smoke,” Klein said. The fire did not spread to the home.

Firefighters put out the fire, pulled out insulation, burned drywall and other materials to prevent re-ignition. No injuries were reported and there was no estimate of the cost of the damage, Klein said.

The Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service