A bright new year is a good time to become an active member of your community. It makes it a nicer place to live and is a great way to make new friends. In San Miguel there are a lot of ways to help get out your calendar:
- Every month the volunteer firefighters (contact Kelly at 467-3300) sponsor a town cleanup day. They are always accepting and training new volunteer firefighters.
- On cleanup day, the San Miguel Chamber of Commerce (contact Miki Landseadel-Sanders at 975-6996) sponsors a work day for the downtown landscaping.
- San Miguel Lions (contact James King at 467-0062) meet on the first and third Thursdays at 7 p.m. at the Community Building on K Street.
- The San Miguel Advisory Council meets on the fourth Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the Community Building.
- San Miguel Forward (contact Laverne Buckman at 467-3467) meets at 7 p.m. at the CSD office in the Firehouse downtown.
Theres a start.
North County native dies
North County native Gary Twisselmann passed away Nov. 29 in Pleasanton. His parents were Bugs and Elinor Twisselmann of San Miguel. He graduated from Lillian Larsen School in 1952, from Paso Robles High School in 1956 and from Cal Poly in 1962 with a degree in engineering. He worked in the automotive industry. In 1958 he and Sally Stephen were married at St. Rose of Lima Church in Paso Robles. They have five children and 12 grandchildren. He is also survived by brother Roy and wife Carolyn of Bakersfield and two nephews. A memorial Mass will be offered for him on Dec. 13 at 1 p.m. at St. Augustines Catholic Church in Pleasanton.
For information on San Miguel events and history, visit www.discoversanmiguel.com.
Lynne Schmitzs column is special to The Tribune. She is a longtime resident of San Miguel and her column appears here weekly. Reach her at Lynne_Schmitz@yahoo.com (with San Miguel News in the subject line) or at 467-3565.