In keeping with the mission of the Cambria Historical Society as established in our earliest days, we celebrate the amazing success of the innovative four full days of events of the 2013 Cambria Harvest Festival.
The response from the community and visitors this year was overwhelming and greatly appreciated. This annual autumn celebration is the major fundraiser for our organization that has served the Cambria community, not just during the month of October, but throughout the year every year for over two decades.
We enjoyed the October events ourselves, meeting and mixing with new acquaintances and old friends, and bringing residents and the business community together for the common good. The Cambria Historical Society now adds this successful gathering as a milestone to its mission of service past, present and future.
To honor the past, we will be joining with Cambrias finest during the Christmas festivities at the Cambria Historical Museum as we light up our 1905 Port Orford cedar the official East Village Christmas Tree, a long-standing tradition. Thanks to grants from the Cambria Tourism Board, we will also expand our décor to include the California oak tree and other Burton-side garden areas.
We will also partner with the Bluebird Inn and the Cambria Chamber of Commerce to extend the holiday spirit throughout the village.
On Hospitality Nights new date, Friday, Dec. 6, Santa will join us as is customary for photos with children and to help us celebrate the fifth anniversary of museums opening on Dec. 10, 2008.
So many wonderful things have happened since then which have helped us fulfill our commitment to serve as the communitys East Village community center. Our exciting next phase will soon bring a new project to fruition: posting informative markers at a number of heritage structures as part of a walking tour of historic Cambria (for details, see our website at www.cambriahistoricalsociety.com).
It all begins Saturday, Nov. 16, when the public is invited to join us at noon for the unveiling of the first plaque, featuring the history of the 1870s Guthrie-Bianchini House, now the Cambria Historical Museum. We will dedicate the plaque and serve light refreshments at the original residential entrance at 2251 Center St.
The event will kick off phase one to mark 25 other historic buildings in the area to be included in the plaque installation project and walking tour. If you have a historic building, our business liaison, Christopher Brazelton, will be contacting you soon.
We appreciate the wonderful support we receive from the community and beyond, many of whom volunteer tirelessly and contribute generously during our fundraisers and events.
Since we must be self-sustaining, donations may be directed to the General Operations Fund for year-round interior maintenance and the Millie Huffaker Garden Fund for seasonal needs and plantings outside.
Our Youth Education Fund has increased our community commitment for providing scholarships to graduating seniors; and the Wilfred Lyons Memorial Archives provides access to important historic photos, documents and research. The long-standing East Village Historic Park Fund will come into play when the 1881 schoolhouse on Main Street (the former Allied Arts Gallery at the Old Schoolhouse) becomes available.
Our needs are great, as is our vision. We continue to expand our efforts with creative endeavors because history doesnt wait we cannot afford to rest on our laurels.
Tales from Town is special to The Cambrian. The Cambria Historical Museum at Burton Drive and Center streets is open from 1 to 4 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays. Consuelo Macedo is community relations chairwoman of the Cambria Historical Society.