SLO courthouse evacuated after smoky motor sets off fire alarm

kleslie@thetribunenews.comOctober 22, 2013 

About 100 people were evacuated from San Luis Obispo Superior Court on Tuesday after a burnt-out motor triggered fire alarms.

The San Luis Obispo Fire Department arrived at the courthouse at about 11:10 a.m. after an air duct smoke detector went off, and firefighters immediately began evacuating the building’s occupants, said Battalion Chief Jeff Gater.

After investigating, firefighters found the source of the alarm was a motor in an air blower that burned out and was smoking, Gater said.

The motor was fixed, and by 11:40 a.m., the building’s occupants were allowed to re-enter.

The Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service