More details released on SLO man accused of soliciting sex from teens

jhickey@thetribunenews.comAugust 23, 2013 

Michael George Johnson, 49, of San Luis Obispo was arrested Thursday, Aug. 22, 2013, on suspicion of making contact with a minor with the intent to commit a sex crime, attempting to prevent or dissuade a witness/victim from reporting and failing to provide information and using false information. Original story »

A registered sex offender arrested in San Luis Obispo on Thursday had been soliciting sex from multiple male juveniles, according to a news release from the San Luis Obispo Police Department.

Over a few weeks in July, San Luis Obispo resident Michael George Johnson, 49, allegedly began initiating inappropriate sexual conversations with two male acquaintances, ages 16 and 17.

While one of the teenagers was in Johnson’s vehicle, Johnson allegedly went to an adult store to purchase adult merchandise and offered to let the teen borrow it, the news release said. Johnson also reportedly offered to let the juveniles use his computer to view pornography.

Johnson allegedly asked one of the teens to engage in sexual acts with him, but the teen refused. One of the teens overcame his embarrassment and fear about the situation and told a parent what allegedly happened, the news release said.

The investigation alleges that Johnson was actively seeking to engage in sexual acts with multiple male juveniles. Johnson was arrested Thursday after being out of the county since mid-July, when he came to the San Luis Obispo Police Department to complete his required annual registration.

Johnson faces the following charges: two counts of annoying or molesting a child while having the same prior conviction; making contact with a minor with the intent to commit a sex crime; a felony attempt to prevent or dissuade a witness or victim from reporting; and failing to provide information at registration.

Johnson has four prior convictions, ranging from 1990 to 2005, of annoying or molesting a child under 18 years of age, the news release said.

The Megan’s Law sex offender registry shows that in 2010, Johnson was classified as a “high-risk” offender.

According to San Luis Obispo County Jail logs, Johnson was in jail Friday in lieu of $100,000 bail.

The Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service