Our national government is only working for a wealthy few. What must be done to ensure a responsive government for all of us, and an informed public? In a word — to ensure democracy, rather than plutocratic oligarchy.
Here are eight measures that could make a difference:
1. Reverse the “Citizens United” Supreme Court decision.
2. Outlaw, through progressive taxation and legislation, the accumulation of wealth to the extent that it creates billionaires and perpetuates poverty.
3. Prohibit the political “gerrymandering” of districts that eliminates the serious competition of opposing candidates and ideologies.
4. Guarantee every adult American willing to work a living wage and the time to be an informed, responsible, and proactive citizen.
5. Support public education and ensure that all young people have access to higher education without placing a burdensome debt on them.
6. Bring back a universal draft for both males and females, including an option for national civilian service, to ensure the responsibility of citizenship and counter the military-industrial complex.
7. Reclaim our public airwaves by reinstating the Fairness Doctrine, requiring broadcasters to provide free airtime for discussing important public issues as part of broadcast licensing.
8. Demand that the press be permitted to attend and ask follow-up questions at all national political debates, major news conferences, and political interviews.