Fire burns through living room of SLO home Tuesday

newsroom@thetribunenews.comFebruary 27, 2013 

A fire burned through the living room of a San Luis Obispo home Tuesday afternoon.

A neighbor of the home at 552 Westmont Ave. heard the smoke detector going off around 4:15 p.m. and used a garden hose to try to extinguish the fire while standing outside the front door, according to a press release from the San Luis Obispo City Fire Department. Arriving firefighters took over and were able to extinguish the blaze in the 1,200-square-foot, single-story duplex about 8 minutes after the 911 call reporting the blaze.

The fire started in the living room on a low table and burned completely through the floor, according to fire investigators. The cause appears to be accidental.

Property loss and damage is estimated at more than $20,000.

The two residents were not home when the fire broke out. The American Red Cross is providing temporary housing and assistance to the victims.

The Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service