The Week of Prayer for Christian Unity begins today. People of all faiths and denominations are most welcome.
Fourteen years ago, Sister Loretta Guevarra who has ministered to Mission San Miguel parishioners and others in the area for nearly 20 years approached the local ministerial council in the North County to institute this event.
Christian Unity Week was started many years ago in Europe. The purpose is to bring people of different denominations to celebrate their mutual belief in Christ rather than their differences. During the week, several denominations host some services together. All services begin at 7 p.m., except for Saturdays event.
The schedule is as follows:
- Today at the First Baptist Church, 645 Park St. in Paso Robles.
- Saturday at 1 p.m. in the multipurpose room at Centennial Park, 600 Nickerson Drive in Paso Robles.
- Sunday at St. Lukes Episcopal Church, 5318 Palma Ave. in Atascadero.
- Monday at St. Rose of Lima Church, 820 Creston Road in Paso Robles.
- Tuesday at Bethel Lutheran Church, 295 Old County Road in Templeton.
- Wednesday at Trinity Lutheran Church, 940 Creston Road in Paso Robles.
- Thursday at Atascadero United Methodist Church, 11605 El Camino Real in Atascadero.
- Jan. 25 at Mission San Miguel, 775 Mission St. in San Miguel.
A collection will be taken at each service and divided equally between Loaves and Fishes in Paso Robles and in San Miguel.
Following services, there is fellowship and refreshments in parish halls. Its a good way to start the new year.
Lynne Schmitzs column is special to The Tribune. She is a longtime resident of San Miguel and her column appears here weekly. Reach her at Lynne_Schmitz@yahoo.com or 467-3565.