In his Dec. 12 letter, its Ken Marks knowledge of history that needs a refresher course. The Constitution is silent on the issue of state secession, because its never been a question of legality or illegality, its because its a complete nonsequitur. Its simply not possible for any state to secede from the Union. The Union is inviolable. While the underlying cause of the Civil War was certainly the Souths desire to perpetuate slavery, the proximate cause was simply that Southern states began to secede. Lincolns (correct) assertion was they could not, hence their army was no different than any other armed band in rebellion. The Civil War settled this issue, and its time for Texas and the South to get over it!
- Atascadero artist to create stacked stone sculptures at Canadian festival
- SLO History Center to debut exhibit on Morro Bay Power Plant
- Island invasions, general killed in Normandy; World War II week by week
- Man found dead in SLO mobile home is identified
- Internship with WNBAs Sparks convinces Elegado to return to Cal Poly
- Cal Poly's Stanford excited over getting shot with New England Patriots
- Former Cal Poly pitcher Wagman signs with Oakland A's
- Summer Collegiate Baseball: Moberg powers SLO Blues to win over Halos
- Our 10 favorite summer movies of all time
- Broadway musical 'Oklahoma!' revisits pioneer roots
- 'Barefoot in the Park' an older play, but still fresh
- Fame after death for 'Forever Plaid'
- Tourist Info
- Local Deals