In his Dec. 12 letter, its Ken Marks knowledge of history that needs a refresher course. The Constitution is silent on the issue of state secession, because its never been a question of legality or illegality, its because its a complete nonsequitur. Its simply not possible for any state to secede from the Union. The Union is inviolable. While the underlying cause of the Civil War was certainly the Souths desire to perpetuate slavery, the proximate cause was simply that Southern states began to secede. Lincolns (correct) assertion was they could not, hence their army was no different than any other armed band in rebellion. The Civil War settled this issue, and its time for Texas and the South to get over it!
- Lady Antebellum at the Mid-State Fair
- Bing Crosby plays golf in Atascadero
- Wristbands required for upcoming Mid-State Fair concerts
- Nipomo woman sentenced for filing fake tax returns, collecting refunds
- Giants beat Phillies 9-6 in 14 innings
- Win streak ends at eight as SLO Blues fall to Santa Barbara Foresters
- Wilbekin finds comfort with Manning at Wake Forest
- Lewis Hamilton seeks 5th victory in Hungary
- Where did the billboards on Hwy. 101 south of SLO go?
- Hard line on gang activity is necessary
- CO2 causes drought
- More Hobby hysteria
- Tourist Info
- Local Deals