Apartment fire displaces Cal Poly students in finals week

newsroom@thetribunenews.comDecember 5, 2012 

Dozens of Cal Poly students were displaced during finals week by a fire Tuesday at an 18-unit Murray Street apartment building, the San Luis Obispo Fire Department said.

Firefighters responding to the call of smoke at 1230 Murray St. were able to contain the fire to a bathroom wall in one apartment and the attic area above it. However, the department said in a news release, the main electrical supply was damaged, rendering the entire building
uninhabitable.

The department was alerted by the apartment’s tenant, who notified her mother after smelling smoke. Her mother told her to call 911.

As firefighters arrived, the tenant told them that a burn mark on her bathroom was growing larger. They told her to get out. She did, and alerted other residents of the complex.

“As a result of the rapid response,” the department wrote, the fire was contained to a small area of the building.

Twenty-five personnel responded, including battalion chiefs, firefighters, paramedics, investigators and police officers.

The department has not announced a cause for the fire, nor did it list a time .

The Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service