Dystiny Myers murder trial to start in mid-January

acornejo@thetribunenews.comOctober 29, 2012 

The jury selection for the Dystiny Myers murder trial will begin in mid-January, Judge Barry LaBarbera said in a pretrial hearing Monday.

Earlier this month, LaBarbera ruled that there would be one trial but two juries for all the defendants, including the death-penalty case of defendant Ty Michael Hill of Santa Maria. 

Attorneys will select a jury for Hill first. If he is convicted, that jury will continue to hear the death-penalty phase of his trial.

The selection of that jury is anticipated to take up to 11 court days, LaBarbera said.

All five defendants are charged with killing Myers, a 15-year-old Santa Maria girl whose body was found beaten and burned near Santa Margarita on Sept. 26, 2010.

The Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service