Katcho Achadjian doesn't oppose Diablo Canyon relicensing effort

bcuddy@thetribunenews.comMarch 29, 2011 

Assemblyman Katcho Achadjian, R-San Luis Obispo, declined Tuesday to join the call for PG&E to pull back from its efforts to relicense Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant.

Achadjian said the utility, under the guidance of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, “can adequately complete its pending seismic fault study while concurrently going through the license renewal process.”

Achadjian said that should studies determine the plant cannot be operated safely, the NRC has the authority to shut it down, and “I am confident that they would act in the best interest of our safety.”

Achadjian said that as a local resident, “I have a vested interest in the safety of the Diablo Canyon Power Plant.”

State Sen. Sam Blakeslee, R-San Luis Obispo, criticized PG&E last week for not suspending its relicensing push until the seismic study is completed.

Rep. Lois Capps, D-Santa Barbara, co-authored a letter earlier this month to the NRC asking for specific information about seismic safety precautions in place at Diablo Canyon.

California’s U.S. Sens. Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein, both Democrats, have also asked the NRC to inspect Diablo Canyon and San Onofre in Southern California for seismic safety.

The Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service