For a dress as important as your wedding gown, you want to do all you can to ensure you find exactly what you want, and visiting a full-service salon is a great way to get off on the right foot. At one of these shops you can expect to find a selection of quality gowns, along with a full line of accessories, including veils, shoes, jewelry and even guest books and other incidentals. And all products are guaranteed in case there is a problem. Seamstresses are available to do alterations on-site, and your dress will be pressed at least once, sometimes twice, before the day of your wedding.
Store consultants will give you personal attention and can advise you not only on your own gown but also on bridesmaids dresses and other details. Many salons offer Web sites for your convenience great for research, but you should not purchase your gown through the Internet. For something this special, you dont want to take any chances, and nothing can replace face-to-face service that bridal professionals will provide you.
Some helpful hints for when youre ready to start the quest for your dream dress:
- Dont shop yourself into confusion. While you will want to try on several different styles of dresses, dont try on every gown in town. If you try on a dress and you think its beautiful, buy it.
- Consider shopping on your own at least initially. Later, you can show your mom or your best friend your two favorite dresses to see what they think.
- Wear the proper undergarments and shoes when trying on gowns. Bring a strapless bra, petticoat and heels when you shop.
- Ask if your dress can be customized. For instance, some dresses can be ordered with a different sleeve or train.
- Expect alterations. They are almost always necessary, usually at an additional charge.
- Consider your budget. Wedding dresses vary from several hundred dollars to several thousand. Th e fabric, ornamentation and designer all affect the price. Ask your bridal consultant about samples and discontinued styles. They can be wonderful bargains for a fraction of the cost.
- Remember, you alone will wear this dress. You have to look good in it and have confidence that you look good in it. After all, you are the star of the day you want to shine.
- Be happy with your selection. When you find the perfect gown, youll know it dont settle for less.
Want a custom-made gown?
For a truly one-of-a-kind gown, a couturier is the way to go. A couturier will take the time to talk with you about the style you have in mind and can suggest fabrics and detailing that will work best to realize the gown you envision. You may bring photos or sketches of gowns you like. But start your search early. Skilled dressmakers may be booked for more than a year in advance.